Sunday, February 2, 2014

Love Has Many Faces

February has just started, and with it more cold temps, snow and clouds.  But along with these comes the reminder that this month, one of the quiet winter months we nod to on it's way by, is also the month that we pause at least momentarily to think about love.  Great loves, little silly loves, loves lost, loves re-gained, loves longed for and love's many splendored things.

Love has many faces doesn't it?  Just thinking of the word gets my mind to spinning and hopping...

For me, when thinking of Valentine's day, I remember the years when my husband was overseas-  I am quite sure we were not able to talk on the day itself on the first Afghan deployment, but we exchanged extravagant gifts and long letters well aware of the blessing our love is by the absence of it's daily routine.  The second deployment Dick was on R&R and we celebrated Valentines Day in Paris, heading to the top of the Eiffel tower for sunset and then taking in the evening on the river cruise along the Seine. I remember the year we took my parents to Puerto Rico.  The sweet way my father and husband bought and presented Mom and I red roses while we dined with a view of the sunset on the ocean and the sound of waves crashing against the cliffs below.

Thinking about this traditional day of expressing love cannot help but give way to other, more broad memories of love. I remember my boys- and I smile remembering our favorite crazy mystery science theater "comment-alongs" accompanied by pizza and usually a couple of extra loaner sons. Later still, dinner and a movie which is still a favorite mother-son event.

I remember when, just days after Dick left for war the last time, I attended my best friend's son's wedding-  the son who had been a frequent loaner son that had his own toothbrush at our house. When it was time for the mother-son dance, he and his mom called me to the floor to take a spin in the midst of them, and I felt the warmth of their love when I needed it so...

I remember the year a car full of us-  all college freshmen were in an accident on our way home-  the truck we were riding in flipped upside down into a water-filled ditch.  No one knew what to do, but I knew my dad could be counted upon-  and he came for us, driving four hours through the snow storm to retrieve us all, paying for our hot dinner and getting us all home safely

I remember the fun I have had with my big sister going to auctions- and with my little sister singing karaoke.

My grandson Jude, who, while we were doing puzzles together one night, turned to me, put his little hands on my cheeks and said, "You're pretty great Grandma" as if startled by the discovery.

I could go on and on, as I am sure each of us can if only we think on those we love.

This year Valentine's Day is on a Friday-  a wonderful treat which means we can have a special night with a special someone or some ones. 

Our venture into business has given us a chance to provide a place and an evening where our friends and guests can come and join us for great food, great entertainment and great atmosphere.

Come to the Aqualand Ale House and join us for dinner, conversation and music.  The fire will be lit, the food and wine will be fine and as always the best craft beers will be on tap. 

This event needs you to RSVP by next Saturday though, so be sure to send us an e-mail, phone call or facebook RSVP.  We need to grocery shop!

Memories have many faces- and love has a long memory.  Come an make a few new ones with us won't you?!

No comments:

Post a Comment