Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Taking the Plunge

What made us take the jump from day-dreaming of how neato it would be to own our own business into the crazy madness of actually starting one?

First it is important to state that Dick and I have never started a business together before.  Years of study and years of working for the government in Dick's case, and various design firms in mine, has given us lots of chances to see what we do and do not like in our work.  We have had good bosses and bad bosses, stress and ease.

We have also enjoyed working together on projects.  Some families are recreational, some are social, some are plugged into cyber-life.  Dick and I, along with our boys, are project people.  Always distracted by some great next thing that we can build or make, learn about, volunteer for, get involved in, take charge of, help with etc.

But through it all, we have enjoyed most when we are shoulder to shoulder in whatever it is we jump into.  The process of building the concept for the Aqualand Ale House and the Frog House Shop has been such a learning process for all of us-  Dick and I, our sons Dan and Perry and our married into-us -daughter Stacie.  Step by step we have been focused, chaotic, determined and hopeless, depending upon the day.

Dick has discovered the thrill of the hunt-  on-line equpiment auctions have been his best friend and sometimes worst compulsion, but overall we have benefitted from his prowess.  I second guess his bids- challenging his logistics officer training at every turn.

I have been pushing and prodding and sometime dragging him along with my design ideas for the remodeling of the spaces.  It like-wise cracks me up how I am trusted by major clientelle with the biggest of projects, but my husband is always at ease pushing me to defend my ideas.  I am able to take commentary from my clients, but commentary from him is so much harder.

I am a hide it- sorter, wanting filing systems and order.  My husband is a stacker/piler and a visual organizer.  If he can't see it, he can't keep track of it.  We have each carved out complimentary tasks in our marriage, but are finding in a business all boundaries are soft.  We each need to back fill every position held by the other. 

I have been known to salute him in  what we call, "the international symbol of friendship" fashion, and he has been known to spank....but enough about that.

There has been a cost to our close circle relationships.  Some are pretty sure we are nuts, but they support us.  We have sadly lost contact with everyone who hasn't volunteered to hold a paint brush. Working 80 plus hours a week hasn't left us any space for dinners, parties, baby showers, weddings and even a few funerals.  I am a book club drop out- which makes me very sad.  There are a few people who do not support us, who have dropped us, which also breaks our hearts.

There is a cost to every big decision.  We knew that going in.  But we feel very sure that our live's destiny lies up north, our future is in owning our own place, and  Aqualand Ale House and Frog House Shop is that place.

We are getting ready for our chance to care for our guests, celebrate a memory, and explore an experience of artisan craftsmanship in food, drink and gift, all  in the heart of the north woods.

We have taken the plunge, and have felt the chill and scald of it by turn.  At the end of the day, we won't have to ask ourselves, "what- if", because we will have found out the answer to what happens when we "go for it".


1 comment:

  1. Wow! My wife and I are very similar. She's a sorter, hider, and organizer. I'm totally visual. If I can't see it I don't know where to find it.

    Can't wait to come and pay you a visit when you're open.

    ReplyDelete